I have been racking my brain trying to find the right words to explain to my children and especially my son what just happened. On Saturday, July 14, 2013, America as he knew it changed and they have no clue. The six jurist in Sanford Florida declared open season on African American youth.
Unless you have been under a rock, I am certain you have heard reports about the shooting of Trayvon Martin. This case has received so much media coverage that it would be hard to miss it. I watched the trial daily and truly prayed that the jurist would see the truth despite the weak case presented by the prosecution.
Now I am left trying to explain to my kids why and quite frankly I just don't know why. As an educated person watching the trial it was easy to see that the prosecution had no interest in the case which explains why they were delayed in filing in charges. This was further evident at the press conference where it felt like they were gloating about the loss. As a mother, I said no decent human being will find him not guilty as he murdered a child.
Why didn't he just stay in the car? Why didn't Trayvon run home? So many questions that are left unanswered and a family will continue to mourn the senseless death of their love one. Trayvon it is my hope that your death will not be in vain.
I will let your life and death be an example to not only my children but any that I come in contact with. Planning out my talk now as the kids are due home soon and I need for them to hear this from me rather than the streets…
If you shared the details with your children what did you say? I will keep you posted!
- Foodies Unite! Crave Montco is Back and it all looks delicious
- 5 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day and Help Preserve Our Planet
- Philadelphia Flower Show Preview: What to Expect
- Disney Dreamers Academy Day Two: Discover the Possibilities
- Kelly Rowland Serves as Ambassador for Disney Dreamers Academy
- 20 WAYS TO CELEBRATE VALENTINE’S DAY WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK
- Turning Valentine's Day into Galentine's Day
- Tabitha Brown + Essence Magazine
- Let Comcast Help Ease Pandemic Stress
- Birthday Ideas during Covid-19 Pandemic
- Planning a Teen Party with Razor Scooter Obstacle Course and Giveaway
- Sofia Vergara and the Ninja Coffee Bar