On Friday, the kids and I saw After Earth with Will and Jaden Smith. My son is a huge fan of Will Smith so I knew we had to see it on opening night. I chose Movie Tavern as neither me nor my daughter had any interest in seeing the movie. I was hoping dinner at her seat was a good enough bribe and I was hoping the wine would make it bearable. I am happy to report that I loved the lessons taught in the movie but that is it. The movie had absolutely no meat and it was really a waste of money but I digress. Back to the lessons…
There was a scene where Jaden(Kitai) was showing off on his attempt to be promoted to a ranger. He was not promoted as the leader stated that he was not ready. Kitai could clearly outrun the other cadettes and his grades were superior but his attitude needed to be checked. After this scene, my son says “mom, you are right. no one likes a show off”
The best part of the movie is where Kitai and Cypher (Will Smith) are the only two remaining after the crash and Cypher is hurt so Kitai has to travel alone to save them. Kitai at some point becomes afraid and wants his dad to come rescue him. Cypher is injured and unable to move. He tells his son “Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Now do not misunderstand me, danger is very real. But fear is a choice.” My kids both instantly turn to me and say “mom, that sounds like what you say” All I could do was smile and laugh.
It was truly delightful to see my son's favorite actor speaking the same lessons that I try to instill in him. I can't say that I encourage you to see it because outside of the lessons and the wine, it was a dud. Truly not what I expected from Will Smith and M. Night Shyamalan.
Did you see it and if so what were your thoughts?
- Watch Creed III Before it Hits Theaters
- Philadelphia Zoo Summer Ale Fest on Sale Now
- School Girls; or the African Mean Girls Play extended at the Arden Theatre
- Celebrate Easter in Philadelphia: Where to Eat, Things to Do and Gifts for All
- The Top 5 Reasons to Visit the Disney World Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival
- Disney Dreamers Academy Day Three: The Jumpstart
- Kelly Rowland Serves as Ambassador for Disney Dreamers Academy
- Hallelujer! Madea is Back and We Have Passes to See it Early.
- Holiday in the Park Returns to Six Flags Great Adventure
- Gabby’s Dollhouse: An Immersive Childhood Series for Young Kids + Giveaway
- Smart Girls Rule- Flora & Ulysses Review
- Channel 131 Makes It A Little Easier