This post is sponsored. No compensation was provided.
You read that correctly. The Kimmel Center opens its 6-week, FREE art installation entitled Swing @ the Kimmel – a new virtual reality experience in the Commonwealth Plaza. Collaborating with Thrill Laboratory and “Thrill Engineer” Professor Brendan Walker, visitors are invited to enjoy a classic childhood swing set experience combined with VRtechnology and imaginative designs.
I would be lying if I didn't say I was nervous. In fact, I had lots of questions not only about what I would be seeing but if it was safe for persons over a certain weight.
I don't usually test out VR experiences because I am claustrophobic and something about feeling out of control frightens me. It was a fun experienced that reminded me of just how much I loved swinging as a kid.
Swing @ the Kimmel hours of operation:
The Swing is available until February 24, 2019 in the Commonwealth Plaza of the Kimmel Center, 300 South Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
- Monday/Wednesday/Thursday: 5pm-9pm
- Tuesday: CLOSED
- Friday: 5pm-10:30pm
- Saturday: 12pm-9pm
- Sunday: 12pm-9pm
- Participants must be 10 years or older, 50” or taller, and less than 280 lbs. Waivers will be provided on site.
- 3 unique virtual playgrounds to choose from for a variety of experiences
- FREE with a $5 suggested donation. Participants will be encouraged to donate by texting K-I-M-M-E-L to 444999. Donations will directly impact children from all over the region by going directly to the Kimmel Center Education department and institutional initiatives
- Swings will be available for general use without virtual reality headsets by guests any time during normal building operating hours not explicitly listed as Swing @ the Kimmel times
Add this to the list of reasons to visit Philadelphia.