While the kids are looking forward to the lazy days of summer, it's important that as parents that we keep their brains churning. Studies show that most kids lose two to three months of skills over the summer. Fortunately it is not too late to prevent brain drain. These seven steps are a great place to start!
- Journaling: Writing keeps the brain stimulated and is a great way to keep the creative juices flowing. I introduced bullet journaling as way to get organized and increase writing. Using daily prompts, you can create stories and create pictures all in one place.
- Book Club: Encourage the kids to start a book club with friends or visit the local library: Most have libraries have a summer reading club where the kids earn prizes for reading.
- Vacation: Get the entire family involved in vacation planning. Math skills are useful in determining budget and figuring out what to requires research. My daughter has Canada on the brain and I am allowing her to plan the entire trip herself. I can't wait to see the final results.
- Educational Apps and Worksheets: We know the kids love technology, so why not make it “mom approved”. There are so many apps out that can keep the kids entertained and learning. Check out the worksheets available at http://www.makewonder.com/summer for a mix of challenges and activities the whole family can enjoy, including puzzles and reading list recommendations. There is a new packet released every two weeks until August 13, 2018.
- Robots: We were introduced to Dash from Wonder Workshop and he has kept my daughter and her friends busy for hours. Wonder Workshop’s “Summer of Wonder” program includes 12 weeks of hands-on, fun, downloadable/printable activities that will keep kids engaged while learning how to code.
As our kids age, we want them to know that learning never ends. How have you been avoiding the summer drain?
Disclosure: Wonder Workshop was provided complimentary to be included. We received no monetary compensation for this honest review.
- Simple Strategies to Make 2023 Your Best Year Yet!
- Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2022
- Start Your Holiday Shopping Now & Win $100
- Happy World Kindness Day
- Pretty In Pink- Finding Joy in the Midst of Breast Cancer
- Toyota Entrepreneurial EnTOURAGE Highlights Philadelphia Black Owned Businesses
- Dreams Do Come True- Disney Dreamers Academy
- How to Survive Dîner en Blanc?
- Mother's Day and a $100 Macy's Giftcard
- Top 5 Celebrities Who Look Great Over Age 45
- Fios and the Net Nanny Equal a Perfect Combination
- $150 Nike Giftcard