Richard Roundtree is a bad mother…Shut your mouth, detective that all the ladies loved in the original Shaft which debut in 1971. Samuel L Jackson stepped into the role in 2000 to show its relevancy in the new era. I'm not sure the purpose or relevancy of the latest release.
Why was it not called Shaft 2 or 3 since the last two Shafts are cast. To get you caught up, the original Shaft (Richard Roundtree) had a son (Samuel L Jackson), who later had a son (Jessie Usher) who is now a FBI agent.
Law enforcement remains in the family even though Shaft 3 is more on the technical side. JJ Shaft (Jessie Usher) at first glance is the opposite of his father. Raised by his mother (Regina Hall), is a geek millennial with a degree from MIT, who is a FBI data analyst in New York. The father- son reunion happens after the suspicious death of JJ's friend. In an effort to get to the truth, he hires his father.
“What kind of business could your Don Lemon ass need from me?” ask Shaft 2 once he discovers who he is. Much like the neighborhood kid who asks if he works at the Apple Store or Panera after seeing his dress, he is the center of many jokes. It is this comic relief and the antics of Shaft 2 that are the highlights of this film.
While rated R probably due to language and violence, it's a miss-matched buddy cop film worth sticking it out to watch.
Rating: Mature audiences due to language and violence
- See A Thousand and One Before it Hits Theaters
- Shazam! Fury of the Gods Movie Review: A Spoiler-Free Look at DC's Latest Film
- See Shazam Fury of the Gods before it Hits Theaters
- Getaway at the Greenhouse Welcomes Everyone to Fairmount Park
- The Roots Picnic Returns to Philadelphia This Summer with an All-Star Lineup
- Jagged Little Pill: An Unexpected Journey of Empowerment and Healing on the Philadelphia Stage
- Le Dîner en Blanc Painted Atlantic City White and Philly is Next!
- Internet Accessibility for All with Comcast
- Fire Safety Tips Every Family Needs and FREE Tickets to see “Playing with Fire”
- Experience the World at Epcot's International Food and Wine Festival.
- Marlon Wayans is a Sextuplet
- Calypso Springs- Six Flags Great Adventure