THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I WILL EARN A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH AND MAKE A PURCHASE
Yup, you read that right. This year on what is known to many as one of the scariest and unluckiest days of the year is also World Kindness Day. “Friday the 13th”, for many is a day to stay in and hide thanks to Jason, a killer from a movie under the same name. This scary movie was released in 1980 and continues to haunt me to this day.
Many of the events of 2020 will probably also haunt me but one of the reasons that I love November is because it is a reminder to be kind, grateful and show love. This year should be no different. In fact we need to show kindness more than ever. People are depressed from the pandemic, stressed with decisions of virtual, face to face or hybrid education, angry over the election results so showing random acts of kindness will go a long way.
I approach this month remembering that “kindness is free, sprinkle it everywhere” this kindness quote is one of my favorites. One word or action can change someone's entire day so I am sharing ten easy ways to be kind today
1.Start with you. Self-Care during these crazy times is extremely important so gift yourself 10- 15 minutes each day to recenter.
2. Give. You can donate time, money or things.
3. Share. We keep hearing that another lockdown is inevitable and things are going to start flying off the shelves. Buy an extra to share with someone who needs it.
“Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.”Scott Adams
4. Say Thank You. Sounds simple but often we are in such a hurry that we forget.
“Kindness is a gift that everyone can afford to give”unknown
5. Shop Local. Businesses are struggling especially the small ones that depend on the community. Make it a point to support once a week and encourage others to do the same.
“Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are.”Harold S. Kushner
6. Protect the Earth. There are so many ways to reduce our carbon footprint on the earth. Start small and make it a habit.
7. Smile. Focus on smizing (smiling under the mask)
“Kindness makes you the most beautiful person in the world, no matter what you look like.”Unknown
8. Listen. Be an active listener
“In times of stress, the best thing we can do for each other is to listen with our ears and our hearts and to be assured that our questions are just as important as our answers.”Mister Fred Rogers
9. Spread Positivity. Post messages of encouragement to social media and give compliments whenever you can.
“To love yourself is a never-ending journey.”Oprah Winfrey
10. Protect Others. Wear a mask, social distance and wash your hands often.
“Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.”Eric Hoffer
This day was officially launched in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement. Formed by like-minded organizations across the world to inspire individuals towards greater kindness and to connect nations to create a kinder world.
If you are a Mister Rogers' fan, don't forget to honor him by wearing a cardigan today! The signature cardigan is a reminder to parents of childhood memories, lessons and values that we learned watching the show hoping to be a neighbor. His lessons of kindness and ultimate success are timeless. “The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind.” Always a favorite as he was never afraid to tackle the “hard” topics such as gay rights and race relations that others shied away from.
How will you show kindness today?
- Simple Strategies to Make 2023 Your Best Year Yet!
- Le Dîner en Blanc Painted Atlantic City White and Philly is Next!
- 30+ Black Owned Businesses To Support Today
- Start Your Holiday Shopping Now & Win $100
- Pretty In Pink- Finding Joy in the Midst of Breast Cancer
- Dreams Do Come True- Disney Dreamers Academy
- How to Survive Dîner en Blanc?
- Roar Like Simba- Lion King Style
- Shine Together at QVC Beauty Bash
- Mother's Day and a $100 Macy's Giftcard
- Come Out and Meet Laura Geller
- $150 Nike Giftcard