I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
For this month, we have been trolling the internet for you and hopefully found some gems. The first one is for Stir-fry, its quick, healthy and the kids love that savory taste. For this particular recipe we definitely minimized the amount of lemon, one lemon would have just been too much. Here is what we have so far:
Eatingwell.com: Lemon Chicken Stir-Fry
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
10 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 cup diagonally sliced carrots, (1/4 inch thick)
2 cups snow peas, (6 ounces), stems and strings removed
1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, white and green parts divided
1 tablespoon chopped garlic.
- Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest and set aside. Juice the lemon and whisk 3 tablespoons of the juice with broth, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs. Add mushrooms and carrots to the pan and cook until the carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add snow peas, scallion whites, garlic and the reserved lemon zest. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Whisk the broth mixture and add to the pan; cook, stirring, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add scallion greens and the chicken and any accumulated juices; cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
RebeccaThinks: Healthy and Light Fish Tacos Recipe
– 1 mango, chopped
– 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
– 1/4 onion (red preffered, any onion OK)
– juice of 1 lime, zest of 1/2 lime
– mix ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate
Zesty, Creamy Topping
Skip the sour cream and use this instead!
– 1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt, strained (Place a paper towel in a strainer and add the yogurt. This helps give the yogurt a thicker consistency like soft cheese. It needs about 2-3 hours in the refrigerator and you can skip this step if you don’t have the time)
– 1/2 tsp chili powder, taco seasoning, or fajita seasoning
– stir and refrigerate
Fish– about 2-3 pounds white fish (we used tilapia)
– season with salt and pepper
– squeeze juice from 1/2 lime over fish
– broil or grill on low to medium heat for 6-8 minutes (don’t over do it or your fish will be tough)
Spicy Black Beans– one 14 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained, and placed in a saucepan
– 1/2 onion, diced and 2-4 cloves garlic, diced (sautee both in 1 tsp olive oil and add to bean)
– 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder
– mix together and heat on low for about 8 minutes (I did this when the fish was cooking)
You will also need…– store bought tortillas (we used a low carb, high fiber tortilla with about 100 calories and 10g fiber per serving)
– 1 cup cabbage, shredded (green or purple – whatever looks good)
Making the TacoHeat the tortilla in a toaster oven, microwave or dry pan for a few seconds until warm. (You’ve come this far, why not?) Place about 2-3 ounces of fish in the middle of the taco. Top with 2 tablespoons mango salsa, 2 tablespoons black beans, small handful of cabbage (cabbage is healthy and low calorie so use as much or as little to your liking), and 1 tablespoon of the creamy topping.
Grouprecipes.com: Healthy Baked Salmon Recipe
6 ounce salmon fillet (can use any portion based on how many ppl)
ground black pepper
pinch of garlic powder
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cloves minced garlic
1 bag baby spinach
Right Dish, Wrong Ingredients?
View Healthy Salmon with different ingredients.
How to make it
Preheat oven to 375
Place fillet(s) on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray (or on non-stick foil)
poke tiny holes in the salmon with a fork just in center and on ends
sprinkle pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper on fillet
brush 1 Tablespoon of olive oil on fillet
Juice 1/2 a lemon and pour over salmon
Slice a few lemon slices and place on top
Bake 12-15 minutes, until salmon flakes easily…varies based on ovens and portion of fish
While Salmon is baking (start about 7 mins before it is finished)
Place 1 TBSP olive oil & garlic in a large saute pan
Add spinach and saute for about 2 mins
Add juice from 1/2 a lemon and saute until spinach is slightly welted
When Salmon is finished baking use a spatula to separate the skin from the bottom of the fish and place on top of the spinach on a platter
Garnish with fresh basil
cook on MED heat for about 30 seconds