If you like Ratchet television then you probably turned into the Real Housewives of Atlanta on Sunday. Ratchet television for the novice are shows where most of the cast members portray negative images, are demeaning and truly appear that they have no respect for anyone or themselves. Most are reality television shows but truthfully it is far from reality. Most watch it for the pure entertainment and I hope that they realize that most of it is staged.
But moving on, this particular episode resonated with me because actress Kim Fields, Tootie from the Facts of Life, invited the women to a “Beatless Brunch” and no one was excited or followed the rules. The idea was that everyone would show up with a bare face to celebrate their beauty. I am certain that Kim had very good intentions but I can appreciate my beauty while wearing my favorite mascara. As life happens many don’t have the privilege of going outside without some sort of “beat” and truthfully if you want to put your best face forward you need to highlight what’s great. Years ago, Oprah touched on how shapely eyebrows can take years off your face. I am true believer and “eye brow Nazi” as some would say. I don’t always give myself a full “beat’ but I don’t leave without the essentials- Mascara and gloss. An un-moisturized lip looks good on no one- think Chris Rock from New Jack City. I was excited to receive the Carmex Moisture Plus® Lip Balm because a little goes a long way. Carmex realizes that daily responsibilities can make it challenging to maintain a normal beauty routine. I practice what I call the five minute face for this reason. Check out my basic routine below.
1. Start with a clean canvas. I fell in love with Purity by Philosophy after watching AM Beauty with Leah Williams from QVC present it. Her description and flawless skin sold me. I have several sizes but a little goes a long way.
2. Moisturize. Moisturizing the skin starts on the inside so make certain to consume lots of water as a start. I am partial to Cetaphil and Aquaphor as I have used them most of my life. I encourage you to find what works for you.
3. Prime: A good primer should smooth the face and conceal any impurities while making certain that your makeup stays put. I am using the Perfect Primer by Mally as it is not drying and adds moisture if needed. I add four small dots to my face and blend.
4. Eyebrows: A neatly kept brow goes a long way. My basic plan is to just highlight and even. The Moonstruck Precision Brow Liner By Younique is great as it has a thin pencil on one end and a brush on the other.
5. Carmex: I use my fashionable lip balm that is packed with an ultra-hydrating formula and feature a soft vanilla flavor, satiny shine and broad spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen. I love the slanted tip as it makes it glide on easy. This is perfect as a stand alone with a liner which I do often.
6. Mascara: There are so many to choose from but for the basic face, I use this one by Julep. The brush is small and it really separates my lashes. I have a few others for that dramatic effect.
7. Foundation: I rotate between two but this one is by Make Up Forever. I like that it is a hydration stick and doesn’t leave my face with a caked on look.
8. Lips: I went for color but you can just add a liner, reapply the Carmex and go. For added color, a liner is a must. I outline my lips and then do a slight fill in to distribute the color. Here I am using heroine which has become a favorite.
This should take no more than five minutes once you get the hang of it. How long is your daily beauty routine?
Disclosure: I was gifted the “Hot Mama” kit from Carmex to use but all opinions belong to the neighborhood. Carmex Moisture Plus® Lip Balm can be purchased for $2.49 at checkout lanes of your local Walmart, Walgreens or Dollar General. For more information, please visit: www.mycarmex.com